This Independence Day weekend was one for the books.  It was long. It was exciting. It was long….so very long. Hence why I haven’t written about it until now.  I needed time to recover.

Sawyer stayed at Grandma D’s house last Wednesday.  Jack slept for 13.5hours and woke up Thursday morning wanting pancakes.  Of course Hyvee doesn’t serve breakfast all day, and we got there 5minutes too late so we settled for pie.  I think I enjoyed it more than he did.


After our special breakfast we spent the rest of the day with Grandma and our cousins swimming in the pool, eating popsicles, and general tomfoolery.

Friday night, we had a private fireworks display at the farm.  It was terrifying (I am such a worrier), but it was exciting, and overall quite fun.  S. had a blast with the other kids playing with glow sticks and watching the sparklers.  He loved the fireworks and wanted to help make them go boom…that didn’t happen, but he still had fun!  J. slept through the whole thing in the jumpsac.

You know you had fun when you fall asleep in the van on the way home like this.

imageSaturday, we traveled to Cumming, Iowa for a family bike ride with Husband’s side of the family.  We ate, we drank, we rode our bicycles a ridiculously long way (mostly in the dark), and we had a fantastic time.  This bike ride prompted my most recent purchase of a new bicycle since I put 20+ miles on my old cruiser that I haven’t ridden in over three years.  I figured if I can handle that, I should probably start riding more regularly since it was so much fun (for the first 15 miles).


Sunday, we had another Fourth of July party to go to with some friends of ours.  My boys were awful because they hadn’t napped, I was super sore from the bike ride the previous day, and Husband was slightly hungover.  We didn’t take any pictures, but it was good to see some old familiar faces and catch up!

The actual Fourth of July was fairly anticlimactic after such a big weekend.  We watched a great parade, and went home for much needed naps.  Husband probably had food poisoning from something he ate at the park, so we spent most of the day at home, and then went and watched fireworks in our old trusty spot with our annual fireworks buddies.

Fantastic week/weekend with awesome people and some pretty impressive fireworks (I wish I had gotten more/better pictures!)